Thursday, December 1, 2011

Semana 20

Domingo el 27 de noviembre - día 133

Sunday I got up, had some frutales (the less desirable, Argentine version of Fruit Loops) for breakfast, then did some research for my castellano presentation.  At around 12:30 I headed out to meet Ludi and the Feria de Mataderos, which is a more traditional feria in a neighborhood on the western side of the city.  There were a ton of artisanal booths, some delicious food samples, and lots of folk music.  Ludi and I were on the lookout for armadillo meat, which are friend Derek told us we could eat there, but we couldn’t find any so split a tamale and humito for lunch instead. We also stopped at el Museo Criollo, which was only $2 pesos, and had lots of interesting things to see.
Cool fountain where I got off the bus



Dulce de higo y nuez (fig and walnut)

After Mataderos, Ludi and I took a bus home.  I drank about 5 gallons of cold water, then did a little more research for my project before skyping with the fam.

Clarisa wasn’t home for dinner, but she left me some torta de jamon y queso and some tomatoes, so I ate that, then showered and went to bed.

Lunes el 28 de noviembre
Monday I woke up and had some cereal, then started my castellano paper (funny how I told myself repeatedly I was going to finish it before Uruguay, and then didn’t end up really starting it until the day before it was due…).  Around noon I took a break and went to UBA to check and see what my grade was.  I got the entire way there before realizing it was a feriado (holiday) and therefore the building wasn’t open.  However, I did get some delicious crema de almendra (almond cream, which reminded me of butter pecan but with almonds instead of pecans) ice cream at a newly opened ice cream shop, that when I arrived in Buenos Aires, was a run-down, abandoned Blockbuster store.

Half way through my bus ride home my glasses decided to fall apart, for literally no reason.  This is the third pair of sunglasses I’ve broken since being in Argentina… I’m not happy about this fact.

When I got home I worked some more on my paper before going to yoga.  When I got home Clarsisa and I had some potato salad with tuna in it for dinner, then I showered and worked on my paper.  It was ridiculously late by the time I finished, at which point I was exhausted and crashed.

Martes el 29 de noviembre
I begrudgingly got up at 8:00, had some breakfast, edited my paper and walked to castellano, stopping on my way to print out said paper.  We all gave our presentations and then had short interviews with the UBA professors afterwards.  It was such a relief to finally be done with that class! 

I decided to go to this ice cream place called Juaja not far from my class that one of my UBA classmates had told me about.  Apparently Juaja is a really famous ice cream chain in southern Argentina, and after tasting their ice cream I fully understand why.  I decided to get frambueasa a la crema (raspberry cream), and it was absolutely delicious, probably the best ice cream I’ve had!  I took my cone of deliciousness and made my way home, stopping on my way to photograph random things as usual.

Soooooooo good

Robot graffiti!!!

They painted over all the graffiti by my house... I understand this is for a good cause, but it's wee bit (or a lot bit) on the corny side and I liked the graffiti better...

When I got home I had an email from my UBA professor waiting for me, telling me that I had passed the class and didn’t need to take the oral final – best news I’ve heard all semester!!! 

After that joyous news I made myself some lunch, then relaxed before walking to yoga.  After class I came home and showered.  Clarisa and I had some stir fried vegetables with an egg on top for dinner, and then I went to bed.

Miercoles el  30 de noviembre
Wednesday I got up, had breakfast, and went to la facultad de medicina for my research.  After research I walked to El Museo de Bellas Artes, but unfortunately for me, I was only there for 5 minutes before the electricity went out because the generator had failed, so everyone had to leave the museum.  It seemed like an amazing museum though, and I’m going to try again next week.  
Statues in the park

Yep, all the plazas in Buenos Aires have facebook pages...

Reminded me of Ludi!

Where all the ambassadors live...

Since I was in the area I decided to go to the MALBA again, since on Wednesdays student admission is free!

The artist!

Bench art

Monochrom room, each section only has one light, all the others are filtered out, it's very strange for your eyes!

From a distance I thought that was Lady Gaga with Andy Warhol (it's another artist whose name I can't remember)

I love this painting!

For the 10 year anniversary people sent in pictures of themselves at the MALBA

Cloudy day

After I left the MALBA I was hungry so I decided to head to McDonalds since I hadn’t yet been to one in Argentina.  I planned on getting a happy meal, but when I got there I discovered the big mac combo was $10 pesos cheaper than a cheeseburger kid’s meal.  This makes absolutely no sense to me, but what do I know?  Anyway, my big mac combo was pretty good, but basically tasted the same as McDonalds in the US.  The real joy of my meal though, was the mcflurry I got for dessert.  Granted I don’t think they quite understand the concept of a flurry, since it was ice cream with the toppings on top and not mixed it, I really don’t care, because this was the best freaking mcflurry I’ve ever had. 

Cadbury Temptation... aka delicious

I walked home while eating my new favorite ice cream treat then took my laundry to the lavadero, uploaded some photos, and relaxed.  Clarisa went to the movies but she left me some milanesa and vegetables for dinner.  I decided to watch El secreto de sus ojos, which is an Argentine movie that won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film a few years ago.  It was a pretty good movie!  After my dinner and movie I showered and went to bed.

On a side note, it was 66 degrees F here on Wednesday, and I was actually cold.  I know this is absolutely ridiculous but I now have a legitimate fear that I will freeze to death upon my return to the burg.

Jueves el 1 de diciembre
Today I got up and had some cereal, then headed to my research.  I walked home afterwards, and made myself some soup for lunch.   

I picked up my laundry from the lavadero and then headed out to the coordinator for los trabajos voluntaries for IFSA’s house.  We had an evaluation meeting about how trabajos, which only 2 other people showed up too, but it was fine because that just meant more cookies for me :p !  After the meeting I took the subte home and then walked to yoga.  After yoga I walked home and had dinner with Clarisa and Lu (rotisserie chicken and cole slaw), then I showered, and now I’m off to bed!

Un beso,

Random Photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment